READY? SET. CRAWL!
Saturday, May 17th 2014
It’s time again for one of Jekyll Island’s great traditions, the Turtle Crawl Triathlon and NestFest, which help launch the annual sea turtle nesting season in Georgia’s Golden Isles. The spring event on this beautiful barrier island celebrates athleticism and ecology and is the perfect place for a fun, family “racecation”!
Known as one of the most-scenic triathlons on the East Coast, the Turtle Crawl Triathlon on Jekyll Island is sanctioned by USA Triathlon. Jekyll Island’s magnificent Great Dunes Park is the start-finish area for the three Turtle Crawl races that together accommodate every skill level, from elite, world-class athletes to novices: an International Distance Triathlon, a Sprint Distance Triathlon, and a traditional 5K Run.
These heart-healthy races along Jekyll Island’s picturesque shoreline and forests do more than get your blood pumping; they also aid endangered sea turtle research and rehabilitation, benefiting the island’s renowned Georgia Sea Turtle Center through the Jekyll Island Foundation.
Families with children of all ages are invited to participate in the educational NestFest activities that will take place near the Turtle Crawl finish line and then to join Georgia Sea Turtle Center staff on the beach for the release of a rehabilitated sea turtle.
First have a run, then discover some natural fun!
International Distance Triathlon
- 1500m swim, 29 mile bike, 10k run
- Start at 7am
Sprint Distance Triathlon
- 600m swim, 14.5 mile bike, 5k run
- Start at 7:30am
- Start at 8:15am in the parking lot in front of Great Dunes Park
NEED TO KNOW
Packet Pick up at Jekyll Island Convention Center
- International Distance Triathlon and Sprint Distance Triathlon: Friday, May 16, 2014, 2:00-6:00 p.m., and Saturday, May 17, 5:00-6:30 a.m.
- 5K Run packet pickup and last-call registration: Friday, May 16, 2014, 2:00-6:00 p.m., and Saturday, May 17, 5:30-7:30 a.m.
- Participant race chips for all events distributed Saturday morning only (May 17)
Pre-Race Pasta Party Friday, May 16, 2014 | Jekyll Island Convention Center | 6 pm – 7:30 pm Tickets must be purchased in advance with online race registration: $10 per person, children ages 4 and younger admitted free
• Jekyll Island Club Hotel | (855) 638-3974
$199 per night including breakfast for two
• Fairfield Inn & Suites (Brunswick) | (912) 264-206
$84 (including complimentary breakfast). Call (912) 264-2060 and refer to the Turtle Crawl Triathlon and NestFest.
• Quality Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Rates starting at $109 per night with a Deluxe Continental Breakfast included.
Reservations can be made by calling the hotel at 912-635-2202 and asking for the LTCT rate code or can be booked online by clicking here.
We challenge YOU to race for their survival! Did you know, only one in 4,000 sea turtle hatchlings make it to adulthood? An increasing number of human impacts are affecting their survival rate. Our mission: conservation through sea turtle rehabilitation, research and education. Since 2007, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center is able to provide state-of-the-art emergency care to sick and injured sea turtles. However, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center can’t fulfill its mission alone-we need YOUR HELP!
- Join Our Interactive fundraising event, Race for Their Survival, and help us raise funds while you prepare for the big race.
- To put the fun in fundraising, form a team and witness the miracle of teamwork!